Comment on page
Role Based Access (RBAC)
The Role Based Access (RBAC) button under "Security" in the Admin Dashboard gives administrators granular control over permissions within PlexTrac, such as actions allowed for a specific user, permissions for customers, access to client data, and report access that restricts viewing sensitive data.
PlexTrac applies roles with consideration of the tenant (instance) and client. This enables teams to grant users the privileges required to accomplish tasks for specific clients.
A user’s tenant role governs what portions of the platform a user can access, including the modules, tools and UI elements presented for use. A user’s permissions can be further scoped in the context of individual clients. Users must have a role in the context of each client.
PlexTrac has three default roles: Administrator, Standard User, and Analyst.
The Security: Role Based Access page includes permission settings on the following topics, which themselves have additional subtopics for further refinement:
- Administration Access
- Account Information
- Custom Templates
- Email Settings
- General Settings
- Integration Settings
- Parser Actions
- License Management
- Tags Management
- Style Guides (beta)
- Analytics Permissions
- Assessments Permissions
- Client Permissions
- Reports Permissions
- Runbooks Permissions
- Content Library Permissions
- Priorities Permissions (beta)
Platform-wide permissions include access to specific modules (WriteupsDB, Assessments, etc.), the Account Admin section, platform settings, and user management.
These permissions are specific to platform access and assigned in the Role Based Access area of the Admin Dashboard. If a user is assigned multiple roles, the permissions from each role are added together and then given to the user.
In the context of a tenancy, the following business rules apply:
- Administrator: A tenant administrator has access to all tools, modules and UI elements in the platform. This includes all aspects of the Admin Dashboard.
- Standard User: A standard user can access all modules and UI elements outside the Admin Dashboard.
- Analyst: An analyst user cannot access the Content Library or Runbooks modules. Additionally, most UI elements that provide create or edit capabilities are unavailable.
Users may be assigned to more than one role. Tenant permissions are additive. Adding a user to a less-privileged role does not remove other roles or restrict permissions.
Admin user permissions can be viewed by clicking the Administrator box on the Security: Role Based Access page.
An administrator is PlexTrac's highest permission role, and admins have complete control and access over every part of the application. Click the PDF file below to download a list of all platform permissions.
List of all PlexTrac permissions.pdf
last updated 10-2023
Standard User permissions can be viewed by clicking the Standard User box on the Security: Role Based Access page.
The differences between Standard User and Administrator roles:
- No access to Administration Access
- No access to Account information
- No access to Custom Templates
- No access to Email Settings
- No access to General Settings
- No access to Integration Settings
- No access to Parser Actions
- No access to License Management
- No access to Security
- No access to Tags Management
- No access to Style Guides
- View only permissions for client users (cannot create or delete client users)
- View only permissions on Customizations (cannot credit, edit, or remove)
- Cannot manage repositories in Content Library
- View only ability on Priorities (cannot create, delete or edit)
Analyst user permissions can be viewed by clicking the Analyst box on the Security: Role Based Access page.
Analysts have the same restrictions as Standard Users, plus the following:
- View only permissions for assessment questionnaires
- Cannot delete assessments
- Cannot add or remove reviewers from assessments
- Cannot create or delete clients
- Can only view client assets (cannot create, import, delete or edit assets)
- Cannot manage client users
- Can only view or export reports
- Can only update or view report findings
- Cannot access report procedures
- Can only view runbook engagements (no access to other sections of runbooks)
- Cannot access Content Library
Client-based permissions are specific to using and accessing Clients, Reports, and Findings. These permissions are assigned on a client level, and more information can be found by visiting Add User to Client.
The role assigned to a user at the client level sets the client, report, and finding permissions for that client.
In the context of a client, the following business rules apply:
- Administrator: A client administrator can edit any data associated with the client, such as the client record, assets and reports, and manage access of client users.
- Standard User: A standard user can edit any data associated with the client, such as the client record, assets and reports.
- Analyst: An analyst user can view client assets and related data, reports in published status, upload and delete artifacts in reports, and change the remediation status of findings.